Arizona: The Grand Canyon

I have always wanted to see the Grand Canyon.  It is just one of those places that has intrigued me to no end.

So a couple of months ago we decided to take a little end of summer (and my 30th birthday) trip - and we also decided to go to Arizona.

It was an unexpected gem - so much so that I am totally cool with moving there ;)

After our initial two day road trip (you can read about here and here,) we decided to head to the Grand Canyon - on our first and second day there.  

I grossly underestimated the magnitude of the natural wonder - and pictures do not do it justice.

After many hours of research and reading about this area, we decided on our game plan, and it's kind of the opposite of what most people do, but it worked out well for our family, and our time table.

We decided to drive the extra forty-five minutes to enter Grand Canyon National Park from the east (instead of the south) - because we wanted to make a pit stop in Cameron to check out the Navajo trading post - and well to eat Navajo tacos (most of my travels revolve around food these days.)

I love how excited Ian gets now to (most of the time) try new foods with me.  It is huge, because he use to be the pickiest eater ever.









As you drive up into the national park - you can see glimpses of the Grand Canyon - and it is absolutely amazing - and it's not even the main part yet.


Everything is so huge - and a side note - I love love love love my car - and this was the perfect adventure to test all her features ;) - more on that later!


Once you enter the park it gets kind of busy ;( that is the only part that I didn't like - it gets extremely crowded and there are hundreds of people everywhere, I guess it is expected.

I would suggest if you are going to explore some of the other National Parks in the area to just do the annual pass (you save a ton) and it gets you into everything in the area and any other National Parks.

At this point I was so excited that I could hardly contain myself - I have never in my life seen anything this indestructibly beautiful.

 So here is where it gets a little tricky - there are so many people everywhere that it is kind of hard to just take it all in (we had a way better time on day two,) but nevertheless it was absolutely gorgeous.

We did a handful of look-out spots as we made out way to the visitor center.  Also we visited the South Rim.














It is nerve wrecking high - but at the same time your are so drawn to it.  It is so amazing, and it kind of didn't get old because the grandeur (as Ian liked to call it) it amazing.







Another note: we didn't realize it was this area's monsoon season, so the rain kind of threw a kink in most of our plans.

We got stuck in a bunch of hectic thunder storms, and a flash flood or two.  The rain isn't really the problem, it's the lighting so you kind of have to take shelter, and the lighting sticks around even after the rain has been long gone.

We actually hung out in the visitor center gift shop for like forty-five minutes waiting for the storm to end.  It is safe to say that I read every single children's book they had in there to the kids.


  
We decided to leave, and rather come back the next day.  On the way out the park we saw a bunch of elk - this made me so happy because I have always wanted to see some.



We also had this awesome little dinner at this little restaurant in Williams - that uses local produce.  It was seriously amazing - and Hayleigh and I have recreated this salad multiple times since being home.



We went back the next afternoon, and it was so much better.

At first we went back to the visitor center to walk the rim trail.  But as we got into it kind of started to sprinkle again, and there were so so so many people.









I discovered (I don't know how or where) but an unmarked hiking trail that few people know of - so we decided to give this one a try.  We actually looked for this on the first day, but could not fund it so we decided to try again.  This was also on Hayleigh's birthday (more on that later.)

So this trail was amazing - it is about a mile hike into the forest and the view was amazing.  The we passed two people going in, stayed there for about two hours, and then saw one person going in as we were going out.

I love love love this so much, crowds are not my thing, let alone huge crowds of tourist trying to get perfect selfie.

You walk through this beautiful pine forest - and we were lucky enough to see some more elk - they were far away (luckily) - and I loved it.



  
This view was epic.


  
We spent several hours here - just the four of us.  We just admired the beauty around us, and we also had cupcakes for Hayleigh's birthday (I will post about that tomorrow.)

It was such a fun time with just the four of us, we also took way to many pictures, didn't have to share with anyone, and could explore all angles that we felt like.

It was heaven.













We got adventurous, and walked out onto this little rocky outlet - yes that is the kids and I (super tiny) next to that rock.



to my mother's horror... love you mom!  She was not super impressed with the pictures I send her - ha!

But it was amazing - the view from this angle didn't compare to any of the other look outs, and you could see into the canyon for miles and miles.



  This was one of the most amazing experience ever.

We had such a great time together, and as always we love being together, and it is our favorite when Nate doesn't have to work.

This adventures are so special to me, and thrive on storing away little mental clicks to remembering everything, the laughter, the excitement, the fresh clean air, and the smell of pine trees - just to name a few.

I will forever remember this day - pictures and words does it justice.

Happy Wednesday!


No comments