Utah!

I have been home for a few days now, after spending most of last week in Utah.

Utah has a super special place in my heart - it is where Nate and I met to begin with.  It has been eleven years since living there - and it is seriously one of the most beautiful places.

I have anticipated this little trip for a while now - and I am so glad that it will worked out perfectly.

Nate had a few days off so he suggested he would stay home with the kids (and have an adventure of their own) and I could go off to Utah to Nick's wedding.

So Nick is one of the brothers that I "nannied" for during my time in Utah, and even after all this time, I have stayed pretty closely connected to this family.  I love them like my own.

I was honored to be invited to this wedding, and was going to make it happen - even if I had to road trip for sixteen hours with the kids in tow.

Luckily for me it worked out beautifully - my first mom-cation under my belt (it only took me like 7 years to work up the courage.)

****

My first time flying without kids was like a dream, not because my kids are difficult to travel with - I am the one who internally stresses about everything and who can't seem to relax when I am with them, constantly making sure they are comfortable and have everything they need.

It was fabulous to stroll through the airport, not having to worry about meals, snacks, bathroom breaks, and you name all the things that comes with kids.

I made it to Utah in the afternoon, and was so thrilled to see everyone.  It just filled me with so much joy, to still be considered as part of their family.  The boys (both of them) have grown-up so much, and I can't believe that eleven years have passed by in a blink.

This trip was also a step for me to learn to just be chill - part of me is a control freak, a planner to the T, and over perfectionist.  There traits aren't necessarily bad, but when they tend to paralyze you when plans shifts, it is probably problematic.

So part of my goal for this trip was to just go relax, besides for the actual wedding, and a scheduled dinner with a friend, everything else just kind of randomly fell into place.

Like a coffee date with an old friend, that lead to an impromptu adventure to Antelope Island.  The cool thing, I didn't have to analyze and internalize the situation, I just said yes and went for it.

I turned out be awesome, and the view was so so beautiful.

NOTE: a lot of the pictures are phone pictures so the quality isn't that great.
















It was so awesome to catch up with Marcus and Julie.  During my time in Utah they did a lot of working the youth, and one of my favorite things to do was to volunteer at Jesus Field.  ** We didn't get a picture together ;(

During our time together he asked me if I have seen  my friend Rachel, but the truth is we kind of lost touch over the years - and she wasn't active on social media (it just reminded me how disconnected we have become, if someone isn't of social media, we tend to "forget" them) I didn't even know where to start looking for her - lucky for me he knew... so that afternoon we set up an impromptu little drink date to say hi...

I felt guilty for allowing so much time to pass, but within a few minutes we picked up right where we left off - and it was fabulous.  We pretty much did everything together...

We are determined this time, to not let so much time pass by.  The other awesome part of this story is, that I was really good friends with her older sister as well, but she moved out of Utah a couple of years ago with her husband, well she was in town for a wedding as well.

I have to say that eleven years later, Jenny still gives the most amazing hugs :)


I had the most fanastic little dinner date with my friend Dawn (well she and her husband was friends with Nate first) but I have stayed in touch.  She took me to the most amazing little restaurant that had kombucha on tap - that alone sold me to the place.

 

I loved sharing hearts about current life struggles, triumphs of the past, and they incredible and encouraging cancer journey - all inspiring!

I attended one of the most beautiful weddings - well I have literally only been to four wedding (mine included) but I loved it so so much.

I still can't believe that this dude...

was ten when we first met, and like most ten year old boys he was super immature, and something pretty annoying - ha! Now look at him, all grown-up, adulting, and married.

Isn't Tesia so beautiful?

I love being able to celebrate their love for each other, and being able to help with any and everythin that they needed help with.

I was able to face time his grandpa (who is extremely sick) and couldn't make it to the wedding, so that he could be apart of  the wedding - it was so emotional and yet beautiful.



  and then this little guy - who is not so little anymore - he was so much fun at the wedding ;)

and then just me - hanging out with Cathy's cousin, and the rest of her Florida family!

The wedding night ended with such a gorgeously breathtaking sunset.

I was able to slip away one morning and go the park, that Nate and I use to visit all the time - walking around, and talking.  We had this bench that we use to sit on for hours - overlooking the pond, and just talk - he proposed one evening (it was the most beautiful sunset ever,) and well I wanted to see if it was still there...

It took me a minute to find it, but I did find it, and it made me so grateful for the last eleven years with him - I would do it all over again, in a heartbeat.

  and of course all the scenery was beautiful.










The morning after the wedding, we went for a brunch on top of the mountain.  This place is one of the reason I fell in love with Utah, because it is just breathtaking, the view from the top is so hard to describe.

It was also a welcomed change in scenery from flat and dusty West Texas.




















I am so happy I was able to make it, and it was such a fantastic time away - to just refresh and refocus.  I can't wait till the end of this month when this sweet family will only be five hours from me

***
We are busy getting ready for a mini little family vacay to the Grand Canyon and I am so excited.  I have been reading up about it - and I can't wait to get away with my little family.

Happy Monday!



No comments